Thursday, July 12, 2007

Dana: Chuck vs. Wanderlei “Not Happening”

I figured as much.

UFC president Dana White recently told Yahoo! Sports that Wanderlei Silva has backed out of the fight, which was scheduled for September 22’s UFC 76.

Yahoo! Sports reports that Silva no longer wanted to fight Liddell, White had been informed.

“This is the worst news I could have possibly gotten. It’s horrendous. I have been trying to make this fight for six years. I have done everything in my power I could do over the last six years to make this fight and it’s still not happening. I just don’t see it happening now,” White lamented.

While I have a hard time believing that Wanderlei would “duck” any man, especially his cold-war nemesis Chuck Liddell, I can understand why he’d be wary to make his UFC debut against the dangerous Iceman. Wanderlei is coming off of consecutive KO losses, so facing a true knockout artist in Liddell might not be the best course of action.

At this point, Dana White is uncertain whether he wants to keep Liddell on the the UFC 76 card and is unsure what the card’s main event will be – Shogun Rua vs. Lyoto Machida? Jon Fitch vs. Diego Sanchez? Evan Tanner vs. the dreaded TBA? None of the above?

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% with your take on Wanderlei not wanting to face Chuck. I happen to think Wanderlei would beat Chucky, but why risk being dropped 3 times in a row? I mean, there's always the risk of being KO'd but there's a much greater chance against the likes of Chucky.