Friday, July 20, 2007

Manny: "I Want to Fight Right Now"

UFC lightweight and TUF 5 finalist Manny Gamburyan spoke quite candidly with MMAWeekly.com recently about the second-round shoulder injury that forced him to tap against Nate Diaz in their June 23 TUF 5 championship fight.

Manny discussed his injury, the healing process, and the possibility of a rematch with Nate Diaz. Here are some of the highlights:

- "I heard he said that he didn't want a rematch. You better give me a rematch, bro. It wasn't your fault. It wasn't my fault. I want a rematch as soon as possible."

- "He didn't even damage me, bro. He didn't do anything. He will be the last guy I would be scared of. I fought Sean Sherk when I was 18 years old. Why would I be scared to fight Nate Diaz?"

- "I was winning, of course. Everyone knew I was winning. Everybody wants to see this fight again. It wasn't supposed to end this way."

- "If I have to fight a couple guys until I fight Diaz, I'll do it. As soon as possible. I swear to God. I might be hurting, but I want to fight right now."

I've always liked Manny. He's a nasty little bastard whose size (5'5" -- but who really knows for sure) dictates that he rush his opponents with a burst of power and an overwhelming ground attack. In my view, he easily won the first round against Diaz, and I think that he has a great chance of beating the Gracie product in a rematch - barring another shoulder injury, of course.

No comments: