Saturday, August 11, 2007

Straight Talk


"To all my fans I would like to announce that I will be fighting Doug Evans at the UFC in Cincinnati on October the 20th. It’s a great honor to finally be able to perform in front of my home crowd, students and family. I would like to thank everyone in advance for all the support over the years. I will do my best."
- Lightweight Jorge Gurgel's MySpace post.


I'm sorry, but I just can't understand the UFC's love affair with Jorge Gurgel. Yes, he trains UFC golden boy Rich Franklin and seemed like a pretty cool guy on TUF 2, but Gurgel has never impressed me in the octagon, despite his jiu-jitsu expertise and pro kickboxing credentials.

I remember writing something in the days leading up to UFC 73 about how I've never been wowed by Gurgel, but how he'd be healthier than ever for his fight with Diego Saraiva. An MMAWeekly.com article on his UFC 73 fight dubbed him "The Bionic Brazilian." Ironically, of all the fighters who left the arena after UFC 73, Gurgel was by far the most battered of the night.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being cranky this morning, but I'm once again baffled why the UFC keeps putting Gurgel on its cards. In his three UFC matches, he's won lackluster decisions against Saraiva and Danny Abbadi and lost a unanimous decision to Mark Hominick. What am I missing?

No comments: