Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hughes and The Terror in the Garden State

As we all know, UFC welterweight champ Matt "The Terror" Serra will make his first title defense against former champ Matt Hughes, and I just got word that their fight will most likely - not definitely - be in November (UFC 79, I presume) at the Continental Airlines Arena in scenic East Rutherford, NJ.

Not familiar with East Rutherford? Think of the Sopranos intro. Right after Tony goes through the toll booth, he's in that shitty, depressed looking area - all highway, factories, warehouses. Welcome to East Rutherford.

The UFC returning to NJ for the first time since 2005 is certainly a boon for Long Islander Matt Serra, who is sure to have plenty of hometown supporters cheer him on against a somewhat reviled Matt Hughes (which I can't really understand).

I wonder if Serra/Longo fighters Pete "Drago" Sell and Luke Cummo will be signed to the card, as well. I'd love to see Cummo back in the octagon.

I have had some Brazilian jiu-jitsu experience under the tutelage of Matt Serra (starting before his TUF 4 run), and believe me when I tell you that you'd be hard-pressed to find a more friendly, accommodating guy anywhere. Serra clearly loves to teach, and I believe him when he says that no matter how his fight against Hughes goes, he's already won.

No comments: