I like Rich. He hits hard, Randy says his ground game is "very good, and he has a pissed off look when he walks into the cage. It's even OK that he insists in wearing pink shorts all the time.
But still, one had to wonder how the former middleweight champ would fare against a bigger, possibly stronger opponent in Yushin Okami.
Rounds 1 was uneventful for the most part uneventful. Rich landed a handful of solid hooks and kicks; Okami mounted virtually no offense. Round 2 gave us a little something worth paying for. Franklin let the hands fly against the still gun-shy Okami.
In the final round, Okami scored a takedown and nearly mounted Franklin, whom we've never seen on his back in the octagon. Okami came close to securing a guillotine and then a kimura, but Franklin managed to pop free. The final bell sounded, and Franklin was awarded both the unanimous decision win and a shot at the middleweight title.
- Rich Franklin defeats Yushin Okami via unanimous decision
- Forrest Griffin defeats Hector Ramirez via unanimous decision
- Jason MacDonald defeats Rory Singer via TKO (strikes) - Round 2, 3:18
- Tyson Griffin defeats Clay Guida via bullshit split decision
- Ed Herman defeats Scott Smith via submission (rear naked choke) - Round 2, 2:25
- Marcus Davis defeats Jason Tan via KO - Round 1, 1:15
- Eddie Sanchez def. Colin Robinson via TKO (strikes) - Round 2, 0:32
- Dustin Hazelett def. Steve Lynch via submission (D’Arce choke) - Round 1, 2:50