Friday, January 11, 2008

BJ Penn Isn't Playing Games


For fans of BJ "the Prodigy" Penn, this is exactly what we want to hear:

"I'm training a lot harder. Back in the day I used to pride myself on how little I could do and get away with it; now I try to pride myself on how much I do. I try to work real hard, train as much as I can, eat healthy food, and I want to see how far I can take it.

"I guess the wakeup call was December 13, 2006, when I turned 28. I said 'what am I doing, why am I messing around? This is the biggest sport in the world, it’s gonna overtake everything, I’m at the forefront. Why am I playing games?'"

"Something just awoke inside of me where I said 'what are you doing? You can beat every one of these people. You’ve been doing it half-assed all this time and it’s time to finally step up and let’s see it.' If you can’t, you can’t, but at least you know you tried. Words can’t explain how pumped I am about fighting right now. It’s what I am, it’s who I am, and it’s what I want to be."

Wow.

No comments: